As we approach the end of the year, the implementation of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) continues to be very dynamic. The state of Indiana is in the process of updating its Medicaid systems both to comply with new regulations and integrate with the federal Health Insurance Marketplace. Changes to application formats, income calculations and program consolidation are anticipated to move forward on target at the beginning of 2014. As part of our ongoing commitment to our clients, we continue announce several enhanced services that will ensure you have the information and resources needed throughout this transition. Our goal remains to provide you and your patients / clients / consumers with the ClaimAid Advantage.
HealthCare.gov “re-launch” planned for the first week of December
- 60 days after the original launch of HealthCare.gov, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) has stated that “[B]y the end of November, the site will be moving smoothly for the majority of users.”
- What you need to know: ClaimAid continues to monitor and test the system at several locations and has seen some improvements. We will continue to assist individuals enroll in a Marketplace plan in December with the expectation that the system will allow those who choose to have coverage in place by January 1, 2014. Open Enrollment period remains through March 31st, 2014.
If you like your plan, you may be able to keep it
- On November 14th, President Obama announced an “administrative fix” that permits state Insurance Commissioners the option of allowing some insurance plans to continue for another 12 months.
- What you need to know: There will likely be little impact in Indiana. Indiana had already permitted “early renewals” which allowed some individuals to renew for the 2014 year. Others who have had their plans cancelled may have been covered by insurance carriers that decided to no longer participate in Indiana. This change may add to the confusion presently experienced by many uninsured or underinsured individuals. If your patients and clients have questions, please direct them to a ClaimAid advocate for help understanding their enrollment options.
Deadline for enrollment with coverage effective January 1st extended and 2015 Open Enrollment period delayed
- The Obama administration has added eight days to the deadline for individuals to enroll in a Marketplace insurance plan with coverage effective January 1, 2014.
- What you need to know: December 15th 2013, was the date previously set by the administration for enrollment in Marketplace Qualified Health Plans (QHPs) with coverage effective beginning January 1st, 2014. That date has been changed to Monday, December 23rd, 2013. Enrollment for coverage in 2015 has been delayed from October 15th, 2014 to November 15th, 2014 and will last until January 15th, 2015.
Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP) Marketplace online enrollment delayed for 1 year
- The Obama administration announced Wednesday, November 27th that online enrollment in marketplace plans would not be available to small businesses until the end of 2014.
- What you need to know: “Offline” options for small businesses remain available. Paper applications and federal phone support will be utilized for enrollment through 2014.The Obama administration has stated that online enrollment for individuals will continue to be the priority as improvements to the HealthCare.gov website move forward.