While the deadline to obtain Marketplace coverage beginning Jan 1 has passed, open enrollment still remains open for another 39 days. Consumers can still secure coverage for Feb 1 or March 1. Consumers need to enroll by Jan 15 for coverage to begin Feb 1. If they enroll between Jan 16 and 31, their coverage will begin March 1. Open enrollment will officially close on Jan 31.
After Jan 31, consumers would need to qualify for a special enrollment period in order to sign up for health coverage. In the Marketplace, consumers may be granted a special enrollment period 60 days following certain life events that result in a change in family status or loss of other health coverage.
Some examples of life changes that can qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period are:
- Birth of child, adoption of child, or place a child for foster care
- Loss of other health coverage
- Moving to a new state
- Changes in your income that affect the coverage you qualify for
- Gaining membership in a federally recognized tribe or status as an Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (ANCSA) Corporation shareholder
- Becoming a U.S. citizen
- Leaving incarceration
- Change of dependency status of someone on your plan
- Death of a covered member of your household
- Turning 26 and aging off your parent’s plan
- AmeriCorps VISTA members starting or ending their service
ClaimAid Patient Advocates are Certified Application Counselors and can guide patients through the enrollment process. Contact ClaimAid at 800.842.4052 if you are interested in our Comprehensive Eligibility Services.